John Updike's Rabbit is hard to like.

5.18.2012

John Updike's Rabbit, Run was my book club's choice for May. This year we focused mainly on award-winning books and authors while making our choices. There are award-winners among John Updike's Rabbit series books, and Rabbit, Run is the first book of the series. Updike himself has won quite a bit of awards as well. (I'm not gonna get into them here; ask Google if you're curious.) I once again found myself asking, "why do so many award-winning books have to be so damn hard to read?" I try to think of this book as another adventure, one that wasn't the kind I enjoy. I for sure will not be reading the rest of the books in the series because frankly, I couldn't care less what happens to Rabbit. 

I guess I could summarize the story as such: while Rabbit is trying to run away from one shitty situation, he finds himself in more shit. Rabbit himself and those around him are two-dimensional, characterless characters. For example, when, in the beginning of the book, Rabbit leaves to get a pack of cigarettes and decides not to come back, there are descriptions and descriptions of the roads he takes, the conversations he has at gas stops... I swear I get bored even thinking about it. I don't think you should waste your time reading this book. It's enough if you just Google it, read the summaries and know what it's about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Header'ımı sevgili kardeşim Jaffar yaptı.