2011 Favorites

12.31.2011

Today's the last day of 2011. It hasn't been a good year for me, and that's reflected in my reading challenges as well. I haven't been able to complete a single one! But I'm still hopeful next year will be better. 

I've managed to read 40 out of 50 books I aimed for. I'll put up an overview tomorrow, but today I want to share my favorite reads from 2011.

I've been trying to pick my top 5 for about a week now, and I think I'm finally content with my picks. It's just so hard when you've read too many great books in a year. So, in no particular order:
  1. The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Justed: I haven't reviewed this one because I had way too much to say about it. So now I'll try to sum it up here: I've always wanted to go on an adventure like this, and I'm kinda upset that I didn't get to read this when I was a kid. I want to go to Dictionapolis and live there forever and ever. And I want the Mathemagician and Digitopolis to stay away from just as long.
  2. Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami: Murakami was an amazing discovery. I can't believe I waited so long to check out his work. I've read this one and Sputnik Sweetheart by him this year, and I love them both. Read my review of Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World.
  3. Veronika Decides to Die by Paulo Coelho: This was one of those books that makes one question sanity, what's considered sane and how one and who decides what is and what isn't. It's a heart-breaking yet amazing story. Read my review of Veronike Decides to Die.
  4. The Road by Cormac McCarthy: This is such an amazing book about what happens when the world as we know it ends. It's dark and heart-breaking, but it's also full of love and hope. Keep some Kleenex close to you while you read it. Read my review of The Road.
  5. Kneller's Happy Campers by Etgar Keret: Etgar Keret was another amazing discovery from 2011. I've read this one and The Girl on the Fridge by him this year and loved them both. The man was writing Flash Fiction before it was cool, and he's brilliant at it. His stories are shocking, cute, weird and sometimes sickening. Oh, and, this was also the book the movie Wristcutters was based on. Read my review of Kneller's Happy Campers.
What are your favorites from 2011? Any amazing discoveries?

I hope everyone has a great New Year's Eve and a wonderful new year.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Header'ımı sevgili kardeşim Jaffar yaptı.